Friday, October 8, 2010

Preschool Theme: Five Senses

These are great activities that can be easily done at home with your kids. I'm going to play some of these games again with mine.

Right now I'm working on fun transitions with the kids instead of calling out "new activity" we have set little things we do. Like, at the end for our end review I get the little trampoline out and we have a little horse race with our hands (we go over logs, under bridges, wait for trains, swim, and go through mud). We do the Hokey Pokey to start circle time. For Art time this preschool, we went on a bear hunt. Next time I want to introduce a song they move to to get them into another activity. I used music a lot when I taught high school. Instead of giving instruction, they knew when to start a task when the music started and stop when it ended (I used very different music than I do with my preschoolers).

Art Time. Fruit Loop Rainbow. The kids matched the Fruit Loops (I bought the generic brand) to the corresponding rainbow colors and glued them on. I ran more glue on the top to get them to stay. They heard the crunch as they ate them, saw the colors, used their sense of touch, and tasted the flavors. Fyi-it takes awhile to paint the rainbows in preparation for this activity. You have to wait for each color to dry before painting the next color so they don't mix.










The kids made creatures out of Play-Doh (celebrating sense of touch). I bought the Play-Doh party pack from Big Lots for $4. It came with all sorts of fun colors including black! I turned the oven to 300 degrees and put the creatures in until they were semi-hard and then took them out in the air to harden further.






Academic Time. The kids taped 7 different textures (to celebrate number 7 and sense of touch)-material, sandpaper, felt, paper towel, aluminum foil, yarn, and rough tulle. The kids described each material-bumpy, soft, etc. The kids traced the 7 I made with little dashes.




To celebrate G, I wrote an upper and lower case G for the kids to copy on a Haunted House with lines I found
at http://www.first-school.ws/t/printable-writing-paper/theme/halloween-haunted-house.html








Snack and a Story
. We had parfaits-layers of yogurt, Grape Nut cereal, and fruit. I really like these berries from Costco (I usually put them in our shakes):









Music Time. I added two new songs this week to fit the theme-
Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes and

The Five Senses Song
(Tune: Where is Thumbkin)

Five senses, five senses
We have them. We have them.
Seeing, hearing, touching,
Tasting and smelling.
There are five. There are five.


Game. Will it Sink or Will it Float? For homefun, each child brought some item to test and guessed if it would sink or float. We all guessed what would happen, then each child took turns putting the item they brought (and some others I had) into the tub. I'll implement this game at bath time now.









Physical Fitness. The kids brought their bikes for a loop around our complex.






Science Experiments. To explore our Sense of Taste, we all checked out our taste buds in a mirror and talked about them. They each tried something sweet (gummy bears), salty (potato chips), bitter (unsweetened cocoa powder), and sour (lemon). Afterward, we all had lemonade.











To experiment with sense of smell, pour different liquids onto cotton balls (so they can't see what they are smelling- vinegar, vanilla extract, peppermint extract, and rubbing alcohol. In a towel I hid cinnamon, a banana, peanut butter, and sprayed some perfume.
The kids smelled a lot of different items and made guesses on what they were.

No comments:

Post a Comment