Sunday, October 17, 2010

Preschool Theme: Halloween








We combined Apollo's and my niece Gracy's birthday with preschool this week. We did all the preschool activities that were more preschool worthy than party first two hours (snack time, academic time, quiet reading time, etc.) and the party activities during the party (music time, game time, and art time). I was grateful to have my husband, sister, and her husband all for a lot of help.


Self Selected Time.








Circle Time. We did our normal thing but added a tiny book where each child could follow along called 10 Little Ghosts. Heidi read some Halloween stories to the kids too.








Science Experiment. Bubbling Pumpkin. I put baking soda on a pumpkin and in a few piles outside on the sidewalk. Each child poured a little cup of vinegar and watched it foam. I explained that the bubbles are a sign that a chemical reaction has happened.




Quiet Reading Time. The kids are doing so well with this. Every time I ask "Do we talk during quiet time? Do we whisper during quiet time?" They reply "no" to both and then I ask "Do we read quietly during quiet time?" and they reply "yes". We all zip our lips together and throw away the key. They were so cute. My brother-in-law was in the other room talking or something so they all shushed him:)


Academic Time. All the kids made an "H" on the ground. I bought some "Maze Tracing Books" at Target where the maze is highlighted and they just follow it (perfect for little ones). I made H's out of dashes for them to trace on their Maze page. I picked a Halloween themed page. I was so proud of all my preschool kids. All of them traced their letters!!!






I printed out a connect the dot scarecrow for the kids to connect and color sticking to our Halloween theme here.




Snack and a Story. We had "Swampy Shakes". In the blender, I mixed frozen berries (the ones I showed on my last post from Costco), Jello Pudding powder (add a little for flavor-I do the sugar and fat free ones), yogurt, and milk. Spinach, kale, avocado, and other fruits can be added to the shake too. I dyed the mix black.





Physical Fitness. We went outside for a ghost/monster/witch walk.



Here's where the party started.

Music Time.
1. Pass the pumpkin. We passed a fake pumpkin around while we listened to Halloween music and stopped when the music stopped (the DJ made sure everyone had a turn-good job Heidi).
2. Halloween songs. I got some from here.

Five Little Pumpkins

Five little pumpkins were sitting on a gate.
The first one said, "It's getting mighty late."
The second one said, "There are witches in the air."
The third one said, "I really don't care."
The fourth one said, "Let's run, run, run."
The fifth one said, "It's Halloween fun!"
"Whooo" went the wind, and out went the light,
And the five little pumpkins rolled out of sight.

Halloween Is Here
When goblins prowl
Make fingers walk.
And hoot owls howl,
Make goggles with hands around eyes.
"Whoo! whoo!"
Cup hands around mouth
When witches fly
Flutter hands in air
"Oooo! oooo!"
Boys and girls, don't shake with fear
It just means Hallowe'en is here!

What Am I?
What am I? A face so round,
Form circle with hands.
And eyes so bright,
Touch eyes.
A nose that glows,
Touch nose.
My, what a sight!
Clasp hands.
A fiery mouth with a jolly grin,
Touch mouth and grin.
No arms, no legs, just head to chin.
Shake arms and legs, touch head and chin.

March around the pumpkin,
pocket full of nuts,
leaves, leaves,
they all fall down.

Stomp around the pumpkin,
pocket full of nuts,
leaves, leaves,
they all fall down.

Tip-toe around the pumpkin,
pocket full of nuts,
leaves, leaves,
they all fall down.

Jump around the pumpkin,
pocket full of nuts,
leaves, leaves,
they all fall down.

3. Limbo. I used a homemade broom I made last year.
4. Spider Web. We took a ball of yarn and each kid threw it to another (but held on to a bit of the string) while the music played. We made a web. The adults grabbed the web while the kids crawled underneath like spiders.
5. Cake Walk.
6. All the kids danced with their wands to the music. To make the wands, cut dowel sticks into foot long pieces, spray paint, and glue colored ribbon to the top. For the ribbon, get two different colored strings and tie them over the glue already put on the stick.







Game Time. The kids taped parts of the pumpkin faces onto the pumpkin being blindfolded with ties.






Art Time. I got some Styrofoam spiders and pumpkins from Michaels. Each had numbers to match the colored tissue paper and stuck them in with a little stick. We spread glue on the surface to help them stick. The kids loved it, whether or not they matched the numbers to the colors.





We celebrated with some of the cutest cakes I've ever seen. Carol is like my second sister and is one of the most talented people I know. Look at her amazing work:










The kids got to decorate their own caramel apples. We put out bowls of tiny chocolate chips, toffee bits, Halloween sprinkles, and other toppings. Apollo filled his ears with the chocolate chips...they melted...and sealed off his ear canal. Donny and Apollo thought it was so funny-at least it cleaned out okay.














Heidi made some cute party favors for the kids filled with fun Halloween toys and treats.

1 comment:

  1. I am SUCH A DORK!! We drove through Cali this weekend and not until we were out did I think "we should go see Rob & Carl".. DUH!! Next time for sure! xoxox!!

    ReplyDelete