Thursday, December 9, 2010

Preschool Theme: Christmas



We had a fun Christmas party today!! It was a nice way to bring in some Christmas cheer. The kids are always in a celebrating mood. I enjoy this preschool more and more each time as I get to know the quirks of each kid and they say the cutest things. They are becoming great friends and have cute little conversations around the table together...it was like little group of adults chatting today. I love watching them grow week to week.




Christmas Breakfast.
I invited all the kiddos over for breakfast to start preschool. We made red pancakes and decorated them with a red writing tube and Christmas sprinkles. Everyone was excited about the Christmas juice (pomegranate). Apollo told me later that this part was his favorite of preschool.

Self-Selected Time.




Grant made and ice cream truck and Jonathan made an ice cream.







Circle Time. The kids each shared what they wanted for Christmas and we read White Snow Bright Snow (I had to laugh because it's a super old book and some of the words they use we wouldn't use today).




Art Time. We rolled out fondant (about 7 bucks at Michaels) after the kids warmed it up in their hands. The kids used cups to make circles. We passed around bowls and measuring cups filled with food coloring and the kids stamped their fondant circles (thanks for the idea Kirsten). I put them on tree plates (99 Cent Only Store) so their moms could put them on top of cupcakes they give out. They can also poke a hole in the top and make them into ornaments after drying them out.















Academic Time. The kids decorated gold and silver covered (99 Cent Only store again) trees with Os (Cheerios and O looking beads).





Afterward, the kids connected the dots from 1-10 to make a tree. Click on the image below if you want to print one off.




Music Time. I played Christmas songs on the piano while all the kids played and sang with me (I mostly sang, they mostly played, and random notes mostly heard). I played some songs off itunes for them while we danced.


I got out some "drums" for the kids.


Games. Everyone chose numbers, and based on those went in a certain order to be blindfolded and choose a gift (each preschooler brought one gift). They loved it.


We celebrated every time some opened a gift.






We played Santa, Santa, Reindeer (another version of Duck, Duck, Goose). We have played other versions, and it's fun to see they all get how to play and have so much fun.



I found Christmas posters for the kids to color (you guessed it 99 Cent store).




We all went outside for a change of pace to a bench and ate our holiday goodies a couple moms brought. I really loves those small moments when we can sit and chat and I learn about them (usually during snack time).







Grant: Loved Grant's little Christmas cheer on his face; he told me he was wearing his Christmas shirt; Jonathan was having troubles getting his shoes on so Grant offered to help and got it on-very thoughtful; he's so funny and cheery-he brings out the goofiness in all of us; he makes the best Mexican Wrestler (the next Nacho Libre)-he loves the Mexican wrestler masks we got in Mexico and has me tie them up during Self-Selected time

Jonathan: I asked the kids if I could have one of their chocolate cookies and Jonathan and Nicole both offered...so nice; he had a lot of fun during music time today; he thought the game "Santa, Santa, Reindeer" was so fun and was laughing his head off the whole time; he was so excited to be blindfolded and choose a present but ended up going last because of the numbers he picked (Murphy's Law always works that way)-he was super excited for a yo yo

Nicole: She looooves crafts and looooved working with the fondant and asked if she could keep working on it when she had finished all her circles (a girl after my own heart...Halley too is my crafter); wants some trendy toy for Christmas that I didn't recognize; Apollo was naming all his friends (all the preschool kids included) and said Nicole and then said CoBo jokingly, Halley calls her Coley

Halley: She loved sharing her cookies and carried them out to a table where she pulled them out for everyone; Halley told a couple of the boys not to sing a song anymore (I think Grant, Apollo, and Donny) because they were adding funny words and being silly and the next second she was joining them and doing the same thing; she was great at making fondant circles and liked it

Donny: Wants a roller coaster track; every time we get to the cave during our bear hunt (it's our transition into academic time) Donny talks about the roller coaster (Suzana just explained he means Matterhorn from DisneyLand); AMAZING with numbers and loves to work with them-he was the only one that could connect-the-dot for the numbers; it was cute during circle time we all said "My name is... and I want.....for Christmas, he said "Hi...I'm Donny", very cute and casual

Apollo: we did a states puzzle after preschool (just wanted to write it down anyway) and he said Monica probably lived in Montana (maybe because they both start with Mo??); he really liked Nicole's cookies and Halley's candy cane. He found another one someone probably left and wanted to eat it too. I said he could have it tomorrow and I know that's the first thing he'll ask about when he wakes up.

No comments:

Post a Comment