Saturday, February 5, 2011

Preschool Theme: My Body

I hope my fellow moms are finding the preschool part of my blog useful and can use it with their kiddos. I love hearing when people use ideas (and I love taking ideas from others). A lot of what we do in preschool can be adapted for different ages.

Circle Time. The kids were each assigned a sense for homefun this week (hearing, seeing etc.) They each brought a bag representing their sense. We had smelly socks and candles for smelling-cute. The kids were all proud to show what they brought. They all liked feeling the gel in the ziplock (for touch). Apollo's bag was full of different items so the kids could guess what senses we could use with them.






We played an elimination game. I would call out different features: Everyone with brown eyes... Everyone with freckles (I'm the only one)...etc. The kids would stand if they matched what I said. We got to see that we're all different and special.

We read a book about bodies.

Art Time. We traced the kids' bodies. We colored lungs, intestines, livers, and stomachs, and talked about where our food goes. They loved this.

Academic Time. We celebrated the letter T. They traced letter T, and on the back side of the worksheet, they circled all the letter Ts they could find in a letter search.



For math time, I asked the kids how much of everything they had. They didn't know how many fingers and toes they had so we counted to ten together. One child thought he had nine fingers:)


Snack and a Story. We had a healthy shake and sunflower seeds (Apollo asked if they came from the sun). The kids helped make the shake. Combine the following in a blender for a super yummy shake: frozen strawberries, milk, some fat-free/sugar-free vanilla Jello pudding powder (banana creme, white chocolate, and cheesecake are yummy), a banana, and a bunch of raw spinach (you can't taste-we add it to all our smoothies). The kids used the food guide groupings I made to put all the food on the chart. We talked about healthy foods we can put in our bodies.





Little Red Riding Hood.


Music Time. We sang: Where is Thumbkin, Head Shoulders Knees and Toes, and Bean Bag Rock (it tells them to put the bean bag on different parts of their body).


Games. I played music and every time I stopped it, I had them do different things like "put your elbow on your waist."


Grant: He really enjoys circle time and sharing homefun; he is getting better at tracing and is really trying to do a good job.

Jonathan:
I think my heart stopped beating when he was hiding behind the tree and was quiet as we kept calling his name. I'm constantly counting 1,2,3,4,5,6 wherever we go and when I counted to 5-yikes-found out from Mom and Grandma this is a game he often likes to play; he loves to goof around and play with his buddies.

Nicole:
She said again, "I love you, Miss Robyn"; she is a go-getter and is up for all the activities we do-she is so fun to have in class.

Halley:
She told me today that she loved me after Nicole did; she said she's very excited to go on the train and go to the petting zoo; Halley loved hearing about food and what it becomes.

Donny:
I can always count on Donny to enjoy the snack I make; last week we ate salsa and I told them about a class I take at the gym and a song that goes "I love salsa" so I sang it and did a little demo for the kids. Donny remembered it and said it this week with a big smile on his face.

Apollo:
Just now I was snuggling with him in bed and I saw him smiling. I asked what he was smiling about and he said, "I'm tinking (that's how he says it) about my friends in preschool"; while eating the snack, he said it (the snack) would go into his wiggly things (intestines).

No comments:

Post a Comment