Thursday, January 27, 2011

Preschool Theme: Nursery Rhymes...THANK YOU, HEIDI






My sister, Heidi, gave me one of my favorite presents this year for Christmas. She planned today's lesson. It was darling-she based everything on letter S. She cut out scarecrow parts for the kids to put together (including a little picture of how it should turn out) and had the name of each student on the bag. So, thank you for this and all your cute ideas we did today! Very thoughtful...very creative!





Circle Time. Each child brought a nursery rhyme to share with the rest of the group. Halley had little paper finger puppets to share Humpty Dumpty.




Grant brought a blind mouse ( a mouse with goggles on it) and pretended to cut off his tail with a plastic knife as we did Three Blind Mice-he had it on cd.





Nicole dressed up as Old McDonald.



Apollo drew a spider and we pinned it to his shirt and he held up a sun as he red "Itsy Bitsy Spider".



Donny brought "Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear" and all the kids did the actions.



I put cotton balls on a headband to represent Mary had a Little Lamb.



Jonathan shared his book with us.


Fun things to do with nursery rhymes: we acted them out and I had the kids clap so they could feel the cadence.



Art Time. We finished our opposite books by coloring black crayon on white paper and vise-verse. I hole punched them and tied them together with curling ribbon (see my last post to go to the website and see more pictures of the book pages).


We put together the kids, scarecrows as we talked about other words that start with letter S. This was a big challenge for my preschool kids (our first time using glue sticks)-and after they were all done they were so proud of what they had accomplished.






Academic Time. Heidi had Ss we could trace and a little match the picture to the letter activity on back.





For math time, I read "Mother Goose Math" and had all the kids count together.



Snack and a Story. The kids made salsa (this starts with ....S). I have split the kids in groups to make snacks, but found out today for this age group, they like taking turns doing something one at a time and making one item all together. We had the chance to joke and talk as we made it.





Homemade Salsa Recipe: Put the following in a blender-1 can Rotel tomatoes, 1 can diced tomatoes, 1/4 C onion, 1 tsp jalapenos (I did not add this with the kids), 1/4 tsp sugar, 1/2 t cumin, 1/2-3/4 t garlic salt. Mix together and refrigerate for 15-30 min.

Quiet Reading. We got a lot of Nursery Rhyme books from the library for the kids to read. My favorite is "This Little Piggy". It gives directions on the bottom of how you can interact with your kids when you read it (Apollo and Annie can't get enough).

Here are some thoughts from the day:

Grant: During Self-Selected time Grant said "Follow me Mates!" and the whole crew followed him back forth across the room; Krista told me she and Grant had practiced his "Three Blind Mice" nursery rhyme-I was dying as he pretended to cut of the mouse's tail-he was super excited to share; he looooved the salsa today.

Jonathan: He leaned over to me and said "I missed you, Miss Robyn"-so sweet, melted my heart; the kids were playing dress up and Jonathan announced "I'm the king" and Apollo declared "I'm the Sultan", then Grant "I'm the rescuer" and Donny, "I'm the firefighter"; he had fun joking around with everyone during music time-the boy likes to move.

Nicole: As always, Nicole goes all out on projects. She attacked the glue stick and I doubt there was any left afterward. She LOVES projects and gives them her all; Apollo put on a Mexican wrestling mask and was the monster and was chasing the kids around. Nicole said, "Is that you, Apollo?"; as I was getting snacks, Nicole said "I love you, Miss Robyn"- I told her I loved her too...and I do very much.

Halley: The kids were pretending to put out fires today. Halley was upset and sad and when I asked her why she said they had put a fire on her. Apollo said "we're just pretending Halley" and they were putting everyone on fire and putting the fires out (Grant, Apollo, and Donny had on their fire fighting hats); I was happy to get a goodbye hug; she loves sharing her homefun with the rest of the group (today but it is true always).

Donny: He's a smarty pants and did really good with matching the letters to the pictures (he would love preschool workbooks and would find them fun and challenging); I noticed he responds better when I touch him on the shoulder when I ask him to do things (thought this would be helpful for his parents); I'm a wimp when it comes to spices so when I had some salsa I said "Whew, I need some water, whew" and Donny said "Whew, I need some water, whew" and took a drink:)

Apollo: He enjoys working on projects and enjoys reading books during quiet reading time; he gets so pumped up during preschool seeing his friends doing all the activities-he becomes a little jokster and becomes full of energy; this is the second week he told me he would be the teacher; he is very particular about doing his tracing and projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment