Thursday, January 13, 2011

Preschool Theme: Sports

This day was filled with fun events that are easy to put together and a lot of the items can be found around your house. Great afternoon activity for your kiddos.



Self-Selected Time.







Circle Time. When I was young, I put together a babysitting kit. I pulled it out the other day and have been doing different activities with the kids. I read "The Yellow Mitten" today to them as they took turns holding up animals.



The kids took turns showing off the sports outfits they wore and told about sports they played that week.


Art Time. We painted with racquetballs today. I printed off this coloring page for the kids to paint (click on image to print it off).



Academic Time. We cut out our own Olympic medal and the kids did a maze. I made slashes so the kids could trace letter Q.






We read the tiny books together reading about number 5 and 11. We are on a roll...the kids can find the right pages now with a little help.




Snack and a Story. In lieu of our sports theme, I passed out water bottles, granola "energy" bars, and Sport Jelly Beans.




Music Time. I played the bean bag song and the kids followed only this time with a big ball. They loved it.




We pretended to play different sports (volleyball, basketball, swimming, running, water skiing, and dancing) to the Black Eyed Peas.



We played "hockey" by swatting at the balloons with the wands I made for them earlier.



Quiet Reading. Most amazing thing! I announced Quiet Reading Time to the kids and asked them to pick out some books while I used the bathroom and got my book to read with them. I come back out and all...all of the kids are quietly reading their books!! We always do this call back thing where we talk about what we do for quiet reading and then we pretend to zip our lips and throw away the key (all with sound effects). I told them how amazing they were and went to do our key thing and Apollo told me they had already done it. He said he had already set the time (I always set the timer for 10 minutes). Who needs a teacher? I should just hand over my lesson plan!


Science Experiments.

1. Get as many different types of sports balls as possible and pass them around your class and talk about each one.



2. I split the class in two groups. I called out a sport and they pointed to the right picture. I printed off different people (I found some kid ones) playing sports-cut them out, and taped them up.



3. I handed all the kids some shoes, and we played with the laces on the shoes.



Games.

Basketball toss. Have your children toss a basketball into a small trash can or basket (we used the little trampoline as our target).



Hammer Throw.
Take a tube sock and put a small ball (tennis ball, racquetball, etc) have your children sling it above their head and let it go. See who can sling the ball the farthest.




Discus.
Have your children throw paper plates as a discus.




Javelin
. Throw straws and see who can throw them the farthest.




Obstacle Course.
Set up an obstacle course with paper feet. Today they hopped on one foot to the Trick-a-ma-stick (from the Dr. Suess game
I Can Do That), walked around it holding a ball up high, hopped on two feet, and then did a little trick on the trampoline.




Relay Races.


Her are my random thoughts for the day:

Grant: He looked like the coolest guy coming in with his mitt, helmet, and baseball outfit; always so happy; looooved the granola bars; he and Apollo like to tease and wrestle; after Apollo told a story, Grant had a story about a big monster named...Grant and he had different voices-it was hilarious-I wish I could have gotten it on video; as we talked about the sports we played this week, he said he played with his dad last year (it's funny how they use time), he called the obstacle course Popsicle course and said "Let's Rock and Roll"; he always says the cutest things

Jonathan: We missed you today. Feel better soon.

Nicole: She loved the little soccer ball she brought today; She is such a pretty girl with a pretty smile-she looked darling in her little soccer outfit today; I always thing of how Carleton said she does everything with gusto-everything she paints is taken to the extreme-she puts her heart into everything she does; she had a lot of fun doing sports and had a great attitude

Halley: She was so cute in her tutu and danced around the whole time she was wearing it; she was funny when we painted our sport papers with a racquetball-she painted the ball and the paint container but wasn't to interested in painting the paper; she has such a fun time in class and gets very involved in every activity-a joy to have as a student

Donny: Even though Donny really struggled to cut his medal, he wanted to do it by himself and cut out the whole thing!; he is a little athlete-he threw the farthest both times on our hammer throw; he was so funny when the kids were telling about the sports they had played that week and he told a random story about running around and Apollo; after Grant and Apollo's story, Donny told a story about how he ran around and saw a wolf but his dad told him they weren't real

Apollo: I told the kids I had a story, but first Apollo had a story about his dad and a helicopter; he was saying funny things this week and said "my preschool kids will think it's funny" (I always call my preschool students my kids); I'm going to use these ideas from this lesson many times over because Apollo had so much fun

No comments:

Post a Comment