Sunday, July 15, 2012

DIY 3- Tiered Platter.  So. In. Love.


































 My friend is throwing a tea party/book club party to celebrate the book Divergent.  I told her I would make a platter for it.  I'll put little finger sandwiches on it.  This will be fun to set out for parties, just for display, or for other special occasions.  If you want to do your own...here's how:

1.  Go thrifting.  You'll need three different plates, all different sizes and two glass cups.  They don't have to match because they will be painted.  You can use a short candlestick or candle holders (I don't know what they're called) to separate the plates.  You can find a lot of glassware at the dollar store...or in your own cupboard.

 2.  Wash.  I threw everything in the dishwasher to get any finger oils or anything else off.

 3.  Sand.  Sand all over so the primer will stick (you don't need to sand the inside of the cups or parts that won't be painted.  Make sure to sand all the parts that will be glued very well.


 



4.  Glue.  Trace where you want to place your cups (or candlesticks) with a marker-you can use a ruler if you want it perfect.  You'll paint over it so you won't see it later.  Use glass glue to glue the pieces together (I just asked for help at Home Depot to find some glass glue).  The kind I found was even dishwasher safe.
 Here's what it looked like just before painting it.
 






5.  Paint.  I did two coats each of primer, paint, and the gloss sealant (they were all spray paint).  I turned it upside down to get everything.  I got a primer that sticks to plastic.  I didn't see one that claimed it would work for glass, but that would be even better.

 






 


 I loved how this turned out so much that I went back to the thrift store to make more.  I'm not going to do the 3-tiers, just a cup or candlestick underneath with a plate on top (platters).  I'll post them when they're finished.

 

3 comments:

  1. That really did turn out super cute!! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. What a great idea. It turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That turned out so good!! You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete