Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Painting Door Handles.

When we moved in, all our door handles were mismatched-mostly gold and some shiny silver.  I looked online and found that others had painted their door handles.  One site (the one I followed), said they had done it three years ago and they still looked great.  It's a lot cheaper than buying new door handles for the whole house.  I love love love how they turned out.  Here's what I did:

1.  Scrub.  Apollo loved taking off all the door pieces-he liked doing a Daddy type job.  I scrubbed all the pieces with an SOS pad-the kind that already have the soap in them anyway.  It's good to get all the oil and grime off.


2.  Sand.  This process takes awhile.  I sanded until I could feel that the surface was roughed up.



3. Prime.  Use a primer spray paint that says it will stick to metal.  I did a couple coats.  You have to spray from different angles to get everything, let them dry, and flip them over.








 4.  Paint.  I used Rustoleum's satin nickel.  I loved the look and textures.  It was so easy to use-no drips and made them look so beautiful.  I was super impressed.

5.  Seal.  Spray a sealant/gloss on the top to prevent chipping and to make sure the job you did stays for a long time. 





I'm so happy with how they turned out, I'm ready to tackle the metal part of some lights and other random gold parts in my house.








3 comments:

  1. Those really turned out nice! We painted all our door knobs, hinges, and light fixtures in our townhouse when we lived in Provo. I didn't do any of the hard work that you did, though, of scrubbing, sanding, primer, and sealant. I wonder how they are looking these days! We have renters in there now - I should go look at them the next time I'm there - I'm curious to see how they have lasted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally using this one in our house! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally doing this!! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete