Monday, December 14, 2009

Fun Treats.

Graham Cracker house from Halloween Candy. We still have some Halloween candy left over from trick-or-treating and Apollo's birthday party. We used it to make a little "gingerbread" house. The "snow" is just tapioca sprinkled on the white frosting. The snowman is from pumpkin peeps. We both had fun making it.







My mother-in-law sent these "Color a Cookie" markers with little snack packs of alphabet cookies. Apollo had fun coloring them. He moved on to coloring graham crackers and dried apples (whatever we had in the house).






Microwave Popcorn. A piece of heaven. We ate this growing up and it's super simple and incredibly addicting. I gave it out for my Christmas treat to friends this year. Everyone has been asking me for the recipe so I thought I would just post it.



I put it in zip lock bags in gift bags.



Here's the recipe:
3/4 C brown sugar
1/2 cube butter
2 T light karo syrup
1/4 t soda
6 C popped corn

Mix sugar, butter, and syrup, microwave 2 min. Stir, microwave for 3 min. more. Add soda and stir until thick and foamy. Pour over popcorn and mix until covered. Let cool and set up.

I made this in front of my high school chemistry class as a demo. We were learning about chemical reactions. You can tell a chemical reaction is happening when it starts to bubble and foam up (when the baking soda is added) and the smell. Bubbles and an odor are signs a chemical reaction happened (a new substance is form and chemical bonds are broken and formed). I think it's fun to bring learning into everyday activities.




3 comments:

  1. I love those color a cookie markers!! Why have I never seen these before...such a great idea! And I'm definitely going to try your popcorn...it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy popcorn. My kids would love to make this. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the treats again! I love that color a cookie idea :) the marker is edible?! brilliant!

    ReplyDelete