Sunday, April 25, 2010

Put your kiddos to good use hehehe

After Apollo was born, I used him as my weight and would have weight lifting sessions with him. I got the idea from my friend, Katie. She works at My Gym doing mommy and me classes and gym classes for young kids. As I got stronger and healed, my "weight" increased in size. I sometimes would go out on the porch so he could look out or just do it in my house. The sessions would last as long as he would last. These can be done anywhere (these are taken in Moab UT-our last vacation) and you don't have to bring anything extra. Now, I can exercise with both Annie and Apollo depending on the weight I want (I showed a lot of different kids and weights to show that you can use almost any kids for weights). You're welcome to print these off if you want them for a workout, print your own off, or have this screen up on your computer. These same exercises can be done with bands or weights if you don't have a small child handy.


I rotate between two exercises doing 3 sets of each and then move onto the next two exercises.

1. Squats. The child can be on piggy back or can be held in the front (with younger kids).



2. Back and Biceps. First stand straight, holding the child like in pic. #1. Next, bend over still holding the child close, keeping your back and legs straight. Continue (pic #3) by holding the child in your hands but extending your arms working the bicep (still keeping back and legs straight). Lastly, pull the child close (while still in the lower position) stand up again-working the back.







3. Obliques. Go from side to middle, other side to middle. The tummy is held tight.




4. Triceps. Keep your arms close to your head and elbows in the same place. This can be done laying on your back, with your elbows up and the baby in your hands.




5. Leg Lifts. This is a great tummy workout. It can be done from the couch and if the child is small enough, it can be done laying on the back and lifting the child up slightly with the legs.




6. Biceps. Keep back straight and pull the child up and down. This is fun because you can tickle them or kiss them when they come up.






7. Crunches. Apollo loves this-it's a ride for him.




8. Shoulders. Depending on the age, you can throw the kids up or just lift them up over the shoulders.





9. Lunges. This is a leg and arm workout. Swing the child up as you come up from lunge position or if they're bigger just hold them as extra weight. This is fun to do with my babies.





10. Front, side, and back leg lifts. Stand in place and either do all the front lifts at once or rotate between the three.



Honestly, I am addicted to exercising. I really enjoy it-it's fun for me. I like to vary it up and I hope this gives you some fun new ideas. This past week, my husband had surgery and the day after passed out so we spent a few hours in the ER-I still took the kids running and exercised. It is the way I get stress out and can be a better person and mommy. Other exercises I do with kids: exercise at the park with bands with friends while they play, dance parties, run with them in the stroller, jump rope while they play, and sometimes an exercise tape.


The Dancing Queens.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post- such great models you have, and such great ideas. :)

    Is Carleton ok? You've got me worried now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. um, how many kids have you two had/! sheesh you all look great

    ReplyDelete