Sunday, April 29, 2012

Making Cheap Frames look Great.

I looked everywhere for a gray frame for Parks' cute picture to complete his room (was even willing to spend a little money) but couldn't find one I really liked.  I found a wooden one at the dollar store.  I found some black 8 x 10s with an ugly gold strip around it there too.  With a little tlc, they all turned out great.

How to fix up frames:

1.  Buy a cheap frame from the dollar store...thrift store...garage sale...or use one you have in your house you can fix up.  I took out some pictures from frames of the Twilight cast I had put in months ago for a Twilight party.

























 2.  Take out the glass and sand the frame.  Even if it's not wood-just rough up the frame so the paint can stick to it...ceramic, metal, what ever.


3.  Prime. I used a spray primer on all my frames.  I had gray so used it on all of them (even though four of them were going to be painted orange).  I like the Rustolium brand and am not a fan of Krylon.  They have Rustolium that sticks to plastic so buy that if you're working with plastic.  I'm always asking the Home Depot workers for help and they've always given me good advice.

Make sure you do light sprays (otherwise you'll see drips if you spray it on too heavy) and give them time to dry in between coats-I did two coats.  The can gives you directions for each brand.
 

























 4.   Paint.  I did a couple coats of spray paint.

5.  Glossy Sealant.  I got a clear gloss spray to make them shiny and seal in the paint.  If you skip this step, the paint will chip easier.  I like the shiny look.

Here's how Apollo's orange (I don't even know what the material was) and Parks' gray frames (was just a plain wooden frame) turned out:
 




















   

 



           
































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment