Friday, May 1, 2009

Life After Kids.

I watched an Oprah awhile back (I have to watch them with the DVR in sometimes 6 sections while breastfeeding in the middle of night or at other random times) and I was sad to see that so many women were unhappy with motherhood. I think a lot of women give up their interests-trips, exercise, hobbies etc when they have kids. I have been lucky to grow up in a family where we traveled and hiked- everything. It's just the way we grew up. I see my sister going on cruises, rock climbing, traveling, and living life with her three kids. She showed me it could be done. We are trying to do the same. We want to show our kids that they don't need to give up who they are once they become parents. We want active kids who love the outdoors and love life. Yes, everything takes more time and we have to be a lot more creative with naps, meals, and getting from point A to point B but Carleton and I are a lot happier when we make the effort to get out.

I just got back from a three week trip where we visited family and friends and took our yearly family trip to Moab, UT. Here are some of the adventures from our last trip and some of the ways we were able to cope:


Constant Stops. I have to breastfeed little Annie at least every three hours. We have to make sure we get our all our meals and that Apollo gets fed. We had to stop on an exit to change Apollo's REALLY poopy diaper. There was poop everywhere (it's hard to change a diaper in the dark and on the road). All we could do was laugh.

Carleton called on his way home (he drove back after Moab to go to work while I went to my sister's to visit) to inform me that he had made the trip with only one stop.


Random Naps.
Apollo sometimes slept in the car (right where we were climbing) while Annie slept in the front pack while we hiked or snuggled in my parent's trailer. We have a bear that we give Apollo at bedtime and he checks out when we give it to him.



Babysitters. We were glad for all the help!








Entertainment. We kept pumping Apollo with books in the car while we listened to our books on tape. I made some skull bandannas for fun for everyone and brought some temporary tattoos and pirate dolls to make (complete with glitter and glitter and glue).










Feeding. Since Annie eats every three hours, even if I have to feed her by a trail where people are passing, I do what I have to do.



Hands Full. Carleton carried Apollo on his shoulders and I carried Annie on the front pack wherever we went. Diapers. Snacks. Sunscreen. Hats. Jackets. Blankets. Make sure kids don't fall off cliffs. We still do what we want - it just takes so much more planning and time.





Fun. We rock climbed, rappelled, went jeeping, hiked, 4-wheeled, and sang songs with the guitars by the fire. We only lost Apollo once.








Flying with 2. I remember the days when I would buy a magazine, chat with the person next to me, or take a snooze on the plane. This past trip I flew home with two of them for the first time by myself. Even though I had a 2 hour layover, it went by fast. It takes awhile for me to go to the bathroom (Apollo was in the stroller and Annie was in the sling all in the stall), get the kids' diapers changed, and get them fed. They were great. The guy next to me slept most of the time in the first flight while Apollo played with his arm rest, played peek-a-boo with the people behind us, and crawled all over. On the second flight, they were both good again until I had to put Apollo in his seat belt (it's hard to keep an 18 month old in the belt with a 2 month old in my lap). They were both done on the descent and I had to hold Apollo with all my strength while both of them were screaming. All in all I feel pretty proud of myself.



Coming home. I'm thankful to have to coolest husband. He had the car and house spotless. There was the most beautiful flowers on the table, he had bought P90X (the workout videos I really wanted-they'll help me get rid of my baby fat), and had hung the picture my sister painted for me.












2 comments:

  1. I was just cracking up about the plane ride. You should see me with Addy! She is like having 4 kids. Tell me how P90X is I want to get it for Wes for his birthday. Let me know! So glad I got to see you and meet Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, Rob! You survived the plane ride! You're so brave. I keep reminding myself of "Come What May, and Love It!" because it's so true. Sometimes you just have to laugh! It does take longer to do the things you love with kids, but it's always worth it and adventurous!

    Let's get together. Maybe we can meet at the beach sometime before we move (July). It'd be fun!

    ReplyDelete