Sunday, May 17, 2009

THE NIGHT OFF! Made some baby headbands.

Every Wednesday is my night off where Carleton makes dinner and takes care of the kids and I do the same for him on Thursdays. I look forward to Wednesdays! This week I tried out a craft Julie told me about. Her baby looks so cute with her little headbands so I made it on my night off for fun.

Carleton made a great salad. The candied almonds made it so yummy. He told me he put almonds and butter on the pan at low heat. Just when they were about ready, he put some brown sugar in the pan to crystallize on the almonds. He made breakfast for Mother's Day and made extra bacon and put it in the fridge. He crumbled this on the salad too.

For the dressing, he used a great one I found from "You on a Diet".
*5 tbsp vinegar (he used balsamic but apple cyder was yummy too)
*5 tbsp olive oil
*5 tsp honey.

It's delish. I make more but just use the same proportions.



The shake he made was great too. Just frozen strawberries, vanilla yogurt, milk, and honey.


Here's how to make the fun craft-baby headbands- I tried on my night off:

1. Gather. I took a bunch of Annie's and my tights, knee-highs, and one of my headbands.


2. Measure. I used my brown knee highs, black knee highs, head band, a pair of Annie's pink tights and wrapped them all around her head and cut off any access. I didn't have to cut my knee highs at all.



3. Stitch. I stitched the ends together by hand. You can tell it doesn't look great but nobody will see it because you'll just...



4. ...flip it inside out. The stitching will be against the baby's head (and at the bottom). Here I'm showing one of my headbands that I cut down but the steps are the same for tights or what ever you use.




5. Decorate it. Now that you have a headband, you can clip flowers or barrettes onto it. I showed in an earlier blog how to cover clips with ribbon and add flowers or whatever on top. Here I glued a flower straight onto the clip (it's so big I didn't need to hid the clip with ribbon).



I just cut off the stem from a flower I bought at Michaels.



I used hot glue.





It covered the clip but it's probably too big of a flower for such a tiny girl.



I clipped the flower onto the headband I made from her little pink tights.

My friend, Eve, gave me a couple of smaller flower clips that she made (she gave Annie the cute leg warmers in the above pic). She put little jewel looking beads in the middle that are fun. Here is one of her clips on the same headband I showed how to make earlier. I love that they're interchangeable and can match what she's wearing.




These clips would work too for little flowers, buttons, etc. and can be clipped onto headbands.



Try it out. Let me know how it goes or if you have any creative ideas to add.


5 comments:

  1. I get all of my flowers at the dollar tree. You get about 8 flowers for 1 dollar. That way you can make some for you and then give the others away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! I am seriously baffled! Ok.. martha stewart.. watch out!! Jenny's coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I'll have ot bring you some of my extra flowers from when I bought them in bunches. I also like to take the green part off the flower and just glue the fabric petals directly to the clip so the flower is flatter to the head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a cute headband today where the flower stuck with Velcro. The mom said she could change out the flowers. She said she'd seen ribbon around another so the mom could put different clips on. I didn't put ribbon on but it might snag less with a little ribbon for the different clips to clip on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, Robyn this is lame, but could you give the approximate measurements for this shake/smoothie. I am not a big smoothie person (I prefer real ice cream), but I am trying to be more healthy. I am afraid if I try this recipe that looks delicious it will turn out terrible without some approximate measurements from those that have perfected it already.

    ReplyDelete