Friday, June 12, 2009

Beach Towel Bag.

I loved this idea from my friend, Michelle:

BEACH TOWEL BAG DIRECTIONS

About 3 years ago I bought one of these bags from the store and have just LOOOVED it! I use it to transport all my towels (both wet and dry) to and from the pool/beach ect. It's roomy and easy to wash with all the wet towels (but it could obviously be used for other things as well). Anyways, my mom has hinted to me numerous times that she wanted one, so after a number of years I decided to make one for her b-day this year. And since it was sooo simple, and super inexpensive (I paid $3.87/towel at Wally-World---sorry if you're a recipient of my new summer b-day gift--it really was that cheap) I figured I'd share the directions with my blogging friends. You buy 2 towels, but really you only need 1 towel plus 4 inches of another. So I bought one towel that had large stripes (just your basic beach towel) and used that as my "strap" towel ( I was able to get enough "straps" out of that one towel to make 6 towels). And another towel for the main bag part.
Here's the 2nd towel I used for my straps. It worked perfectly because the stripes were already the exact width I needed (just be sure to measure it only 41" long though--you don't need the full 58")


Sew the strip closed. I liked the feel and look of sewing four lines down the strap, it made it feel more--"strappish" but you could do 3 if you prefer --just make sure it's securely sewn.

Attatch the straps to the wrong side of the short end of the towel (make sure your strap isn't twisted when you attatch it).



Fold right sides together of the main towel (your straps should already be sewn--I forgot to take the pic at that stage--just invision) 18" up and sew the seams along both edges.



Turn the bag right side together, and WAHLAH.
Finished beach bag.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure how I linked to your blog but I am SO glad I did! I LOVE this bag. I am not a sewer AT ALL but I think I just might try this! Thanks for the GREAT idea!!

    ReplyDelete