Sunday, August 9, 2009

Magnets. More Cabin Crafts.

I've been wanting to make these for a while. My sister-in-law Kimberly, brought this idea. I think these will make great Christmas gifts. I've been collecting Altoid tins that I'll paint and decorate for a magnet holder (I'll post them when I make them).


Materials needed:

Clear Glass Beads- they're the flat kind people put in the bottom of vases for fake flowers. They come in bags at Michael's or other craft stores.
Mod Podge
Hot Glue-or any other glue to secure the magnet
Paper for picture-I found some cute pictures in a magazine or you can use cute paper
Flat Magnets-These come in a pack. We used smaller ones, but bigger ones work great too.


Directions:

1. Choose a picture to fit under the glass bead. You can do Christmas/Halloween ones, pictures of people, cutouts from magazines, or parts of cute paper. I found some cute retro pictures in a magazine to make some of mine. These flowers were cute.



2. Trace around the glass bead.


3. Cut out the picture and spread Mod Podge over the front of it-it will dry clear. Put the glass bead over the the picture that has Mod Podge on it. Press firmly and push out any bubbles you see. If there is any paper sticking out, just trim it off.


4. Flip it over and Mod Podge the back side of the paper. It will just make the back side look better and you can kind of seal the edges of the paper to the bead. When I cut pictures out of the magazines, sometime the backside didn't look cute so I cut out a cute piece of paper and Mod Podged it to the back (nobody really looks at the back but I did it anyways).


5. Hot glue the magnet to the back.


So fun. These can be addicting. My fav. was the one on the top right of the bird in the tree. Have fun. I would love to see any pics or hear from you if you make them.



3 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! Maybe I could use these for primary somehow...great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like these...I might just have to try them out myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute magnets. I may have to try these too. I can't figure out how you can be so productive with two little ones. Wow, you amaze me. BTW I copied your idea for leaf rubbings. It was great. Seth had been into a lot of mischief so we decided to redirect and make binoculars out of tp rolls (which he had previously emptied and flushed ALL the tp down my toilet....yikes). Then we went on a hunt in the backyard for leaves. It was fun and he loved it. Thanks for the ideas. I wish I still lived near you.

    ReplyDelete