Sunday, August 16, 2009

Shapes.




I thought this would be a fun project for Apollo and I to work on together. After we made them, we practiced naming them. He did a great job (he probably remembers them from the decorations more than the shape-but it's a great start). This would be a great project for anyone who babysits or a fun gift for or to make with kids. Here's what we did:


1. For most of the shapes, I Googled the shapes (eg. I put triangle outline) I wanted and clicked on "see full image" and copied and pasted it to a word file. There I made it the size I wanted and printed them off. The shapes I did were circle, moon, star, square, parallelogram, triangle, pentagon, hexagon, octagon, nonagon, decagon, and heart. I might have gotten a little carried away. My high school chemistry students had to learn them so I figured might as well teach him while he's young.




2. Cut them out of the paper and trace onto shoe boxes (cereal boxes or anything hard would work). Cutting them out was kind of a bugger.



3. Spray paint. It took a few coats.




4.Decorate. We used the glue to stick the stuff on and I also poured glue all over the top of everything so it would stay on better.



This was a great project because:
-it didn't have to look perfect
-it held the little one's attention because we used so many things to decorate
-he could help out
-we could use odds and ends from stuff we already had

Thanks to everyone who leaves comments, sends me emails, or tells me they follow this blog. It motivates me to post more stuff we do or make.

3 comments:

  1. I love this project! It's fun, simple and at the same time helps to teach about shapes. Please keep posting, I really enjoy this blog and it has given me lots of ideas.

    P.S. You are such an adorable Mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute project Robyn, what a cute idea! Maybe I'll do this with Luke onde the other kids go to school next week.

    I'll have to show you how to get shapes like that off of your photo shop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your ideas! Now Donny will have something fun to do with me that doesn't involve running, falling, or spinning!

    ReplyDelete