Monday, January 4, 2010

Family Memory Cards.

I gave this as a gift to my niece, Maddy, and to Apollo for Christmas. It's great because the kids get to play the memory game with cute pictures of their family members. So fun to make and to give as a gift! Here's how to make it yourself:


Materials Needed
-2 pictures of everyone you want or you can use any pictures (like presidents, leaders, the alphabet, etc.)
-Playing cards. I got mine 2/dollar at Dollar Tree.

-Tape

Directions

1. Pick out the pictures of the family members you want to use. I had my sister send some she liked as well.


2. I ordered wallet sized prints at costco.com. They were the perfect size for the playing cards.


3. Cut out the pictures (there were 4 per page) and tape them on to the playing cards.



4. Laminate them. My friend told me about a middle school where I could get them laminated (it was 65 cents for tons of pictures!!). You could do it yourself with contact paper or even packing tape.


6. Cut the pictures. I wrapped the pictures/game in ribbon. For my niece, Maddy, I made a place mat purse and put it inside (I'll post how to make the purses later).



Why I like this game-

1. It's small. Easily toted anywhere.
2. You can play with as many "people" (or matches) as you want depending on the child's skill level.
3. Kids can know the names of all their relatives even if they live far away.
4. It keeps kids quiet (like in places like church) just looking through the fun pictures. I have a pic of great grandma in a tiara, great grandpa on his motorcycle, and my brother wake surfing.



2 comments: