Sunday, February 7, 2010

Weekly Challenge #6

Choose one quality to magnify in your child and/or spouse. This comes from "More Secrets to Happy Children". Kids become what we tell them they are. What you focus on is what you get. Some families focus on illness, for example, and always have sick kids. Some focus on complaining (while trying to make everyone happy), and always have grumpy kids.
Here is an exercise to try.
1. Choose the three qualities you most want your child to have (it could be anything-kindness to others, patience, gentleness, perseverance, cooperation, independence, creativity).
2. Take one of these qualities as your goal for this week.
3. Take note of every time your child shows this quality.
Comment sometimes, other times just simply notice. Make no negative comments at all. By the end of the week, you can be sure this quality will be on the increase. Point out only when the child does show the quality.


How did last week go cutting out sugar and flour? Heidi and I both said we noticed little ways that sugar creeps in each week without noticing. Sometimes I drink hot chocolate at night (and not count it as one of my two treats) or I'll get a strawberry lemonade when we go out. Heidi talked about not licking her fingers while making treats for her kids. Carleton and I went out for a church dinner and I had to give up my cheesecake. I'm really glad I did this. I worked hard to complete this challenge. It made me realize how I can keep cutting out bad foods in little ways. I want to keep eating well.

2 comments:

  1. Cutting out sugar is super hard..I have been noticing that I would snack on things and not know that I did. I have been trying to cut out sugar completely but then I would eat one of Addy's fruit snacks or something and ruin it. It is hard but makes me feel so much better..plus I don't crave it when I don't eat it(after 2 weeks of not having it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think it is sooo neat that you have a sister to keep you on top of your game. you guys have always been so good at challenging each other and keeping one another motivated. i love it

    ReplyDelete