Monday, February 1, 2010

Challenge #5 Hair Accessories.

With Annie's birthday coming up, I've been working on some cute onesies and hair stuff for her. I wanted to give her a big package of everything I've been working on. I decided I always make things as gifts so I wanted to work on things for Annie. Here's all the stuff I've been working on this week:

1. Black and Gray Flower. I didn't take pictures as I went because I just goofed around with it until I liked it. I'll just try to explain what I did if you want to try it out. I cut out a bunch of felt black petals (flat on the bottom) and smaller gray ones. I folded the petals in half hot dog style (the grays were touching and were inside of the the black petals) and sewed them just above the bottom to give them a 3-dimensional look. I cut out two round black felt circles for the center. I stitched (by hand) all the petals to the first circle (on top of it).

Then I stitched another circle on top to hide all the stitching. I stitched leaves on the back. I covered a clip with ribbon and hot glued it to the back.


Annie or I could wear this.





2. White Crocheted Flower. I made this for Annie awhile ago and just glued the clip on this week. I don't know a lot about crocheting but I just kept going in a circle. So they wouldn't get so bunched up, I added an extra loop on the chain. They're just three circles of different sizes. I stitched them together in the middle with normal thread.




I glued the clip to the back so I could clip it to Annie's headbands. White goes with most things.






3. Fabric Flowers. I made these earlier and just glued the clip on this week. I used the template from here to make the next three flowers. I followed the directions for the first and third flower, but for the second, I just put the flowers on top of each other. I did a little gathering stitch to make it not so flat looking.

I cut out an old bandanna to make this flower.





4. Easy Felt Flower. I hot glued a button on top of a tiny flower on top of a circle on top of a ribbon covered clip. No sewing.






5. Sweet Sweater Rosettes. Suzana bought these off Etsy. So cute. I made Lyla and Annie a headband out of gray tights (thanks Heidi Copa) by just sewing the ends together. It looked so cute with the white flower.








We followed this super simple tutorial here to make the same flowers. Instead of gluing the whole flower, like the tutorial said, I just hot glued every once in awhile and it stayed together nicely. Suzana just glued the bottom at the end and it worked well too.



It's so easy-perfect for the little crafter. After painting Lizzy's fingers (blue on one hand and foot and red on the other-I'm sure Kimberly was happy), she made a flower. Hard to mess up.




To make this black flower, I used the same tutorial for the center flower. The outside flower comes from a die cut flower. I just ran a a stitch through the flower and pulled/gathered it. I just glued the rose in the middle and glued the clip on the bottom.





6. Rose Barrettes. I went here for this rose barrette tutorial. I didn't feel like doing any sewing so instead, whenever the directions said to sew, I hot glued. It turned out cute. I did stitch around the leaf. I'm definitely going to make more in different sizes and colors.








It was so fun crafting with friends this week. The kids had just as much fun playing together.




Here are the pretty ones Heidi made this week. I'll have to get the low down on how she did them.






2 comments:

  1. I love that crocheted bow~ So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robyn, Um thank you!! I have been trying to figure out how to make little felt bows for Presley and your cute blog gave me more than enough ideas. I am so excited to try them! I love all the great ideas on this blog. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete